- PhD, Material and Visual Culture, Anthropology, University College London (UCL), UK, 2015.
- MFA, Studio Art, Penn State University (PSU), State College, US,
- BA (Hons) Anthropology, Victoria University of Wellington,
Wellington, New Zealand, 2000.
- BFA, Communication Design, National Institute
of Design, Ahmedabad, India, 1998.
- Spring 2019, Adjunct Faculty, Gallatin School of Individualized Study, NYU.
- 2016 – 2018, Postdoctoral Fellowship in Museum Anthropology, Bard Graduate Center (BGC) and the American Museum of Natural History (AMNH), New York.
Curation of exhibit on Balinese textiles and publication of a monograph.
- 2016 – ongoing,
Honorary Research Associate, UCL, UK.
- 2014 – ongoing, Editor of Material Religions Blog.
- 2014, Documented Indian artifacts at the Horniman Museum and Gardens as part of "Collections, People, Stories: Anthropology Reconsidered."
- 2012 – 2014,
Organised conferences including India: A Veneration Nation? and Bodily and Material Cultures of Religion.
- 2013, Taught introductory modules on material culture and ethnography at Srishti College of Art, Design and Technology and National Institute of Design, India.
- 2010 –
2011, Independent Researcher & Artist, Glen Gardner, New Jersey, US.
- Sept – Dec 2009, Internship, Fabric Workshop & Museum, Philadelphia, PA, US.
- Jul – Aug 2009, Summer Art Teacher, East Orange Cultural Center, East Orange, New Jersey, US.
- May – Jun 2009, Summer Intensive Workshop, Fabric Workshop & Museum,
Philadelphia, PA, US.
- Aug 2007 – May 2009, Instructor of Record, Teaching Assistant and Studio Technician, PSU.
- Aug 2007 – Nov 2008, Symposium Concept & Organization, ‘The Culture of Ornament & Decoration’, PSU.
Research & Publications
Shows and Reviews
- 2018 – 2019, Asian Cultural Council Individual Fellowship grant for research on Indonesian textiles.
- 2018, Coby Foundation Ltd., Grant for development of an exhibit on Balinese textiles at BGC.
- 2016 – 2018, Postdoctoral Fellowship AMNH-BGC.
- 2013, British Association for the Study of Religions (BASR), Conference Bursary.
- 2012, India Travel Award, Nehru Trust for the Indian Collections at the Victoria & Albert Museum.
- 2011, UCL Anthropology Departmental Bursary.
- 2010, Rotary International District 7510 Ambassadorial Scholarship 2011-12.
- 2009, Solo Exhibition 2010, Hunterdon Art Museum, Clinton, NJ.
- 2007 – 08, Graduate Scholarship, Penn State University.
- May 2018, Taksu and the Power of Balinese Textiles, Seema Shah, Passage, Singapore.
- Oct 3 – Dec 5, 2010, Moving Home, Solo Show, Hunterdon Art Museum, Clinton, NJ.
- 'No Place Like Home', Ralph Bellantoni, Courier News, Oct 8, 2010.
- 'Moving Home' at the Hunterdon Art Museum, Abigail Doan Blogspot, Oct 15, 2010.
- Apr – Aug 2010, Erasing Borders 2010: Contemporary Indian Art of the Diaspora,NJ/PA/NYC.
- 'Erasing Borders Showcases Diaspora Artists', India Abroad, Aug 13, 2010
- Oct 2009 – Jan 2010, Hunterdon Art Museum Members Exhibition, NJ, U.S.A.
- May 2009, Prequel, MFA Group show, Sara Meltzer
- April 2009, Skin Deep, MFA thesis show, Zoller
Gallery, Penn State, PA.
- Nov – Dec 2008, Woman!, The Center for Modern Psychoanalytic
- Jun 2008, The Golden Calf: A Compilation of Fixation & Obsession,
Group Show, Crane Arts, Philadelphia.
- Mar 2008, Penn State Graduate Research Show, HUB Gallery, Penn
- Interdisciplinary research across anthropology, cultural history and art.
- Multi-material artwork across clay, fiber and print.
- Strong communication, organization and collaboration skills.